Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pleased

My biggest Christmas present was the stereo boxed set of the remastered Beatles albums. After listening to them all once, I'm going to try and spend some time with each one over the next few months. First up has been Please Please Me, an album I'd never heard before.

Now obviously, I'd heard a number of the songs from this album - it's hard not to have heard "I Saw Her Standing There" or "Love Me Do" or "Twist and Shout" (which always makes me think of the great scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off). And while I love hearing those songs start up and love singing either harmony part on "Love Me Do," it's the songs I didn't know so well that are stuck in my head.

I love the piano part on "Misery." I love how Ringo tells George to take it away during "Boys" and I love the guitar solo that George plays after that. I love the harmonies and guitar work of "A Taste of Honey." I love "Baby It's You" as a song (and yes, I realize they didn't write it...but it's also possible I love the song because of how they interpret it). And I love the Roy Orbison feel of "P.S. I Love You."

It's an album that is 47 years old but doesn't show its age at all. That's great music, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment